Turkey Brings Out The Runners

While many are trying to run away from too much turkey this week, the 400 runners at the annual Turkey Trot in Coney Island were running toward it.

Many have trained for weeks, months, or not at all–because fitness is a part of their lifestyle, like Andrea Meeks, who was accompanied by her husband to cheer her on.

“I love running, I’m a mom and it’s really helped me get back into shape, because I worked out a lot before my pregnancy,” said Meeks.

“So to do a 5K around my area couldn’t be better, especially around Thanksgiving.”

Participants going through registration.

With the average Thanksgiving meal coming in at about 3,000 to 4,000 calories, this couldn’t be a better time for some New York City residents looking to stay in shape during the holidays.

Even though some contestants would go home with food–the first 3 male and female overall finishers received a Butter Ball Turkey.

But while some might of been doing it for the turkey or to help get their bodies back into shape, either way–there were all types of runners on the boardwalk, each with different stories to tell.

A group of runners preparing themselves to run on the boardwalk.

Chris Hernandez, a 32 year old Manhattan resident, completed the race with a group of friends that sprung from a bet. “My friends didn’t think I could complete it! They didn’t even think I would show up.”

Hernandez finished the race, even though he was a lot slower than he “remembered in college”.

“But I finished–and who doesn’t love bragging rights!”

Other races coming up in the New York City area (2010):

The Free Thanksgiving Trail Marathon, Half-Marathon, & 10-K, November 25

NYRR Joe Kleinerman 10K, December 5

MOVRun Central Park 5K, December 11

NYRR Pete McArdle Cross Country 15K Classic, December 12

Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Athritis, December 12

Emerald Nuts Midnight Run, December 31

2 Responses to Turkey Brings Out The Runners

1. 3d tv says:

Just searching the internet and saw ur blog. very cool site. I really want to go through more of your content but haven’t got time right now, but i registeredfor your feeds. I will be back in a day or two. Thanks for an informative website.

2. visible man says:

Every single time I see blogs as excellent as this simply because I will need to cease bludging and commence operating on mine.Thanks