Getting Distracted By Product Placement

This weekend Paramount Pictures released their latest comedy, “Morning Glory,” about aspiring news producer Becky Fuller (Rachel McAdams) and her attempts to revitalize “Daybreak,” a failing morning news show. While the movie is memorable enough (mostly because it was written by the same person who penned “The Devil Wears Prada” and has essentially the same plot line), what stuck out the most was its use of product placement.

Apple as product placement in Morning Glory

"Morning Glory's" Becky Fuller trusts Apple's MacBook Pro to get the job done.

One scene was shot in a Staples aisle, making it look like a commercial. Apple’s MacBook Pro gets its fair share of screen time. And let’s not forget about NBC and the “Today” show, Fuller’s job, and what “Daybreak” seems to be modeled after.

"Daybreak" on Morning Glory

Doesn't this remind you a little bit of...

NBC's "Today" show

...that?

Yes, the practice of product placement isn’t new. From novels to television, and of course, film, this form of embedded advertising is both a blessing to the companies employing these practices, but a curse to audiences (like myself), whose experience of the film is disrupted each time a new logo or brand is mentioned. The music video (which, for some artists has become a mini-film in itself) is another outlet for product placement, most notably in Laday Gaga’s “Telephone” in all its 9-minute and 32-second splendor.

But how effective is this form of advertising? And how much is too much? Jezebel’s Hortense Smith contemplated these issues and more in her post about the Gagapalooza. She believes that reactions to this would be “generational: some of us will see it as irritating and disappointing, while others probably won’t notice it at all, or will acknowledge its presence but not allow it to sway any future purchases.”

However, other media critics believe any form of advertising is negative. Sut Jhally, a communications professor at University of Massachusetts Amherst and the founder and executive director of the Media Education Foundation believes that today’s hyper-consumerism is selling more than just products — they aim to sell “lifestyle, ideology and sometimes, even war.” In his film “Advertising & the End of the World,” Jhally “forces us to evaluate the physical and material costs of the consumer society and how long we can maintain our present level of production.”

Jhally would certainly have something to say about the ever increasing and unabashedly obvious product placement in the media today. And while some people have a better eye for this “hidden” advertising, there’s no telling when a simple story will turn into a giant ad itself.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Getting Distracted By Product Placement

1. Oldum says:

Hey thanks for the infomation.

2. I thoroughly liked this blog article and recognize the effort it have to have taken you to write it. However this is my third visit to this website and I just can’t seem to comprehend how to add the feed to my reader software program. Have you got any tips?

3. I’m happy I came across your blog post today and located this very informative article. I am sending it through to my close family friend that’s also intrigued enormously with this matter.

4. Hi, This is definitely my first time viewing your blog but I had to sign up and let you know how much I enjoyed this post. You have done a great job of fact checking all aspects of the story and presented both sides equally.

5. Hello, Just needed to tell you that your site is particularly very good and I actually like the blog layout. Is it a customized design or some theme I can down load also?

6. Hi, This is now my very first time looking in on this website but I had to sign up and tell you how much I liked this web post. You’ve done an excellent job of researching all sides of the story and presented both sides fairly.

7. You really have raised a number of good points within your blog entry and I just want to say many thanks for how long it must have taken yourself to piece this together. I will be examining your site again in future. Thank you.

8. I truly liked how you wrote this informative article and some of the issues your raised are very worth noting but please check your grammar before submission. I had a difficult time getting through this short article resulting from inferior grammar.

9. Hi, This may be my first-time visiting this web site but I needed to join up and let you know how much I enjoyed this entry. You have done a great job of fact checking all aspects of the story and presented both sides equally.

10. You have brought up a variety of good issues inside your blog posting and I would like to say I appreciate you for the amount of time it must have taken you to piece this together. I’ll be reading your blog again at a later date. Thanks a ton.

11. For starters, I want to take a few moments to state what a remarkable web-site you have here. I have been reading your website for many months and will be book-marking it for future reference.

12. Gvo Maylasia says:

I am delighted I came across your internet site today and found this very useful short article. I will be passing it through to my very own close friend who’s also interested significantly with this topic.